To setup NETGEAR WiFi extender, you do not require installation CD any more. NETGEAR has provided you with two alternate methods through which you can go for setting up NETGEAR WiFi extender.
These two methods are :
- Manual method
- Wi-Fi Protected Setup(WPS) method
Through these two methods you can setup NETGEAR WiFi extender without any hassle.
In this article we are going to discuss in great depth about these two methods involved in setup NETGEAR WiFi extender. Hope this will serve its purpose to you.
- Manual method:- This method is named so because of the steps involved in it. That means in this method we need to perform various steps involved in setup, manually.
This setup gets completed through using www.mywifiext.net website.
This is not any other regular webpage, but is a local webpage designed by NETGEAR for providing a user-friendly interface for setting up NETGEAR WIFi extender.
This http://mywifiext.net webpage is not used only to setup NETGEAR WiFi extender, but can be used to perform almost every task related to your NETGEAR device.
For instance if you want to change username and password for login NETGEAR extender then also you will require this local webpage i.e. www.mywifiext.net webpage.
For launching set up for NETGEAR WiFi extender using the manual method, all steps that you need to follow are:
- Power on your NETGEAR WiFi extender.
- Then you will require a device(such as a computer) through which you can initiate setup for NETGEAR WiFi extender.
- Establish the link between this device and NETGEAR WiFi extender. You can use Ethernet cable for the same.
- Once the link gets established. Open up a web browser on your device.
- This will automatically prompt you to www.mywifiext.net website. But if in case you are not automatically prompted then you will be required to enter http://www.mywifiext.net in the address bar of the browser.
- This will ask you to enter credentials for login mywifiext.net webpage.
By default credentials are:
- By entering the valid credentials you will be able to launch NETGEAR WiFI extender setup through NETGEAR Genie.
- Now all you are expected to do is to follow simple onscreen instructions.
- By this procedure to set up NETGEAR WiFi extender using manual method gets completed.
- You can connect any number of devices to your extender’s network and enjoy uninterrupted internet connectivity throughout your network.
- Wi-Fi Protected Setup(WPS) method:- Through this method you can set up NETGEAR WiFi extender through WiFi signal. That means you need not to perform steps manually, as was in the case of manual method.
But there exist one prerequisite that is, your network router should have to be WPS enabled.
If your network router does not have WPS button, then you are left with no other choice but to follow manual method for set up NETGEAR WiFi extender.
Now comes steps involved in set up NETGEAR WiFi extender through WPS method. They are as listed below:
- The first step remains same for both methods, that is to power on your NETGEAR WiFi extender.
- In this method, you need not launch any local webpage. But the only requirement is to press WPS button on your NETGEAR WiFi extender, once the power LED gets stabilised.
- You will notice that WPS LED present on your extender, will start blinking. This signifies that your NETGEAR WiFi extender is attempting to establish a WPS connection.
- This is the time to press WPS button on your network router. Make sure then time gap between pressing WPS button on NETGEAR WiFi extender and network router should not be greater than 2 minutes.
- By this, you will notice that WPS LED on your NETGEAR WIFI extender will get stabilised. Even you will notice that Router Link LED will also get solid green.
- That’s it. Procedure to setup NETGEAR WiFi extender through WPS method got completed.
- Now you can connect a number of devices to your NETGEAR extender as you want.
That was all about the procedure to set up NETGEAR WiFi extender. Hope this article will prove to be beneficial to you while understanding steps involved in setting up NETGEAR WIFI extender both through the manual method and WPS method.