IN this article we are going to answer the above-stated query in great depth. We will divide our discussion into four sections, that is:
- What is Linksys RE6500 AC1200 Max Wi-Fi range extender? What is it’s basic features?
- How to setup Linksys range extender?
- Then how to access browser-based utility, to modify the configurations of the installed extender?
- And at the last some common troubleshooting steps.
In this way, this article will provide a broader picture of the extender. I hope this will be highly beneficial for those who want to have an insight into Linksys RE6500 extender. By this let’s start our main article.
Linksys RE6500 AC1200 Max Wi-Fi range extender is capable of extending the existing network’s coverage up to 10,000 square feet. If you are planning to get an extender for extending network coverage up to that range, then RE6500 extender will prove to be a wise choice by you.
There are many other characteristics associated with this Linksys range extender, which makes it a prime attraction by the users.
Some of these characteristics include:
- Firstly, it is capable of eliminating dead spots that are persisting in your network.
- It is capable to work with IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, 802.11n, IEEE802.11ac network standards.
- It’s the capability to operate in dual-band, which is 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, simultaneously.
- It is capable of providing AC1200 Mbps wireless speed.
- Another prime attraction is that it is provided with 4 gigabit Ethernet ports. Thus if you are searching for an extender that will provide more wired connections then this extender will prove to be best for you.
- It works with Cross-band technology. This technology helps in maximizing simultaneous use if dual bands. This in-turn enhances data transfer speed.
- The last and most important characteristic is it’s a simple and easy setup process.
Now after discussing basic characteristics of Linksys RE6500 range extender, let’s move towards basic steps involved in setting up Linksys range extender.
Setting up Linksys RE6500 AC1200 Max Wi-Fi range extender
Before initiating the setup process, the user needs to disconnect any other range extender, if in case it exists in his/her network. This is required to avoid unwanted confusion.
Once you are done with it, here starts the procedure to install Linksys RE6500 range extender.
- Establish the connection between the power cord and the extender, as shown in the picture.
- Before powering on the device, you need to place the extender in such a way that it comes as midway between your network router and dead spot (that means an area where you are having the issue of Wi-Fi connectivity). At the same time, you also have to ensure that at that spot your extender must be received at least 50% of Wi-Fi signals of your network router.
- Then wait until the power LED turns to be solid. This might take a minute or two.
- Then use any device such as a computer, tablet or phone and get connected with Wi-Fi network named “Linksys Extender Setup.”
- If you are using Windows 7 or 8 then you will be asked whether you want to set up your network. Here you will be required to click on “Connect to a network without setting it up.”
- This setup will get started on its own. But if in case it does not, then you will be required to launch the web browser on your device and then enter http://192.168.1.1 in the address bar of the browser to launch the Linksys range extender setup.
This was all about how to setup Linksys RE6500 AC1200 Max Wi-Fi range extender. But what if you want to change any configuration of your extender, once it got established.
The answer to this lies in our next section. So let’s initiate our further discussion.
Steps involved in accessing browser-based utility
If you want to change any configuration associated with Linksys range extender then you will be required to log in to browser-based utility, provided by Linksys.
The usage of this utility is too easy. But these steps vary slightly over windows and MAC operating systems. But need not to worry. We will provide you with steps associated with both the operating systems separately.
Firstly, Let’s take a look at steps involved with Windows operating system:
- As it is browser-based utility, so firstly you will be required to launch a web browser. You can use any web browser for this purpose. But before this, launch windows explorer. Then click on Network. You will get the RE6500 icon on the right panel. If in case you do not find the same, then you will be required to change Firewall settings of your device.
- Then right-click on the RE6500 icon. Then click on Properties. Then click on the address link present on the Device webpage.
- By this, a web browser will get opened up. It will ask you to enter credentials to get logged in.
- Here leave Username as blank and enter admin as Password. These are default credentials for any Linksys extender.
- Once you click on Ok, the browser-based utility will get opened up. Here you can make required changes in your Linksys RE6500 range extender.
Now let’s move towards the MAC operating system. Steps involved for it include:
- Launch Safari on your device. Then click on Bonjour, present on the left panel. Then you will notice an icon named RE6500.
- You will be required to double click on this icon, named RE6500.
- You will be asked to enter credentials.
- Here leave Username as blank and enter admin as a password to get logged into this browser-based utility.
- Once you click on OK, the utility will get opened up. Here make as many changes as you wish.
These were the steps involved in accessing browser-based utility provided by Linksys.
Hope all points mentioned in these articles are crystal clear. But what if even after following the steps mentioned in this article, you are unable to connect with your extender in one way or the other.
Do not worry. We are hereby also going to mention some common troubleshooting points. If I case, you get stuck up with any issue pertaining to your Linksys extender then you are requested to firstly take a look at these points. But if in case your issue does not get resolved by this then you are highly recommended to contact at the official website of Linksys for technical support.
There are some common issues because of which you may face issues with respect to your Linksys range extender. We are hereby mentioning these issues, along with their troubleshooting points. I hope this will be of some help to you.
- Unable to connect your range extender.
This issue may arise because of the improper placing of your extender. As mentioned in steps of installing extender, placing of extender should have to be made wisely. There are certain points that you have to take notice of while installing the Linksys range extender on your network. These are:
- During the installation process, place the extender in close proximity to the router. Once the installation process gets completed, you can place the extender to its final position.
- Try to avoid unwanted hindrances in-between path of signal transmission between router and extender.
- Also try to avoid placing network router and Linksys extender near the reflective substances such as mirror, glasses and so on.
- Also, avoid placing them near an electronic device because these may cause unwanted interferences in signals.
- Unable to access Linksys range extender
To access the Linksys range extender, it is required that you must be connected with the range extender’s network. SO ensure that your device, through which you are trying to access extender, is connected with the extender’s network.
Because one of the most prominent reasons for failure in accessing extender is that the user’s device is connected with some other network.
If in case you are having any other issue then the listed one, then you are highly recommended to contact on Linksys’s official website to get technical support.